Sremski Karlovci is a picturesque village placed between the Fruška Gora Mountains and the Danube, in the region of Vojvodina in Serbia. It is situated 70 km from the Serbian capital Belgrade, and almost 10 km from the capital of Vojvodina Novi Sad. Sremski Karlovci stretch on the banks of the Danube between three hills: Čerat, Doka and Magarčev Breg. Visitor arrival is possible from both directions by rail or road transport. The arrival is possible even by boat. The region of Vojvodina is composed by three areas: the Bačka, the Banat and the Srem. The name of this town means in fact “Karlovci of Srem”. The town offers the opportunity to know two of its greatest treasures: the history of its buildings and the genuine and vital taste of traditions. Here there is no industry, in the center the traffic is minimal. Here you can rediscover the true meaning of the words: peace and tranquility.
People and gastronomy
People are very hospitable, friendly and always ready to welcome you with a smile. Serbian and Vojvodina's cuisine are abundant, varied and rich with lots of meat, fish, vegetables, fruits and spices. It is the result of mix of the Serbian, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovak cuisine, and many dishes are derived from German, Russian or oriental kitchen. The gastronomic “ritual” begins with a cold snack, the most common specialties are dried and smoked meat (ham, kulen, bacon etc.). Then come a soup or a broth. The main plate is always prepared with meat or fish served with stewed vegetables, sauce and/or different salads. Is especially renowned the Vojvodina goulash (proximity with Hungary), fish soup or other river fish specialties prepared according to traditional fishermen and cookers recipes. Each meal ends with sweets (cakes, pitta, strudel of poppy or fruit, etc). Along with good food is served good drink: before meals is served homemade fruit or grape rakija-brandy, and during and after a good local wine. It is often said: " Vojvodina people is so benign and this comes from good eating"
The buildings and monuments
Serbia and Vojvodina have a rich cultural tradition. All populations that passed throughout this region brought the elements of their culture and achieved others. A multitude of costumes, languages and religions testifies that Vojvodina is plural and it national variety is kept as a treasure and represents a true value.
The center of Sremski Karlovci receives the current appearance at the end of XIX century. Great benefactors, brothers Anđelic, donate founds for raising the new Sremski Karlovci gymnasium building (which is project of architect Đule Partoša) between 1891 and 1892. Serbian Patriarch Branković, with clerical and his own funds, built four emblematic palaces in the town (architect Vladimir Nikolić): the Patriarchy Court (1892 - 1894), the Ecclesiastic - National Funds (1899), the Seminary (1900) and the Stefaneum (1903). Due to these buildings, the Baroque "Four lions" fountain (1799) and the St. Nicolas Cathedral (1758 - 1762), this town has a recognizable look, rare to find in other Serbian towns. In the historical nucleus of the town you can also see the Catholic church of the Holy Trinity, the City Hall building, the Ilion Palace (1848) where the City Museum is placed, yet the two Orthodox churches: Upper, dedicated to the Holy Mother (1746) and the lower church, dedicated to the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul (1719). Don’t miss the visiting the famous Peace Chapel, where in 1699 was signet the Karlovci peace treaty.
Surroundings and nature
The geographical location of Sremski Karlovci is ideal for viticulture and wine production. In the fields surrounding the town there are mainly vineyards and orchards. In the hills of soft earth are dig numerous wine cellars - mine- which were used in the past (and still today) to elaborate wine and brandy. Karlovci wines are known as good and high quality wines. .In the surroundings is possible to see deciduous forest, river-aquatic vegetation and herbaceous steppe vegetation. Southwestern from Sremski Karlovci there is Fruška Gora. This range is a mountainous island in Panonia plane and it is a National Park. The highest peak is Crveni Čot (Tsrveni Chot) with 539m height. There is a huge biodiversity and the geological and microclimatic specificity make these mountains very interesting for different scientific field and it is also an ideal place for excursions and recreation. In Fruška Gora are located 16 orthodox monasteries built between XV and XVI centuries. The most known are Krušedol, Hopovo, Grgeteg, Jazak, and Velika Remeta. They have exceptional significance for the Serbian spirituality and culture and some of them can be visited. At about 4 km from Sremski Karlovci there is the Stražilovo resort. It is famous for fresh and clean air, rich flora and fauna. This place is, however, better known for the funerary monument of one of the main Serbian romantic poets, Branko Radičević. Danube with its islands and sand beaches offers excellent holiday, but also rich hunting and fishing. Sitting next to the river and observe it tireless flow and the departure and arrival of the fishing boats it’s very relaxing. Visitors can enjoy walking also through the botanic garden Dvorska bašta (Courts gardens). It’s placed on a hill 15 minutes from the center where flora can be observed and there is a little sports and recreational center.
Archeological finding confirm that Sremska Karlovci existed continuously since Neolithic Period. During the roman age, Sremski Karlovci was strategic significant for its expansion. There was a fortification system that was built on the edge of the empire so-called "limes". On the hill above the City Hall there was a small fort. Here are found few graves with silver and bronze coins, mainly from the III and IV century. Roman time signs the beginning of grape and wine culture for Sremski Karlovci and this region. Under the rule of emperor Probus, reached from southern Italy grape wine to this regions. The art of making wine has been maintained as a character of recognition. By the end of VII century this territory is occupied by the southern Slavs. Sremski Karlovci has been under the rule of Hungarian noble families up to the year 1521 when the Turkish military leader Bali Beg conquered the town and the following 170 years it remained under the control of the Turkish empire. The first document that mentions the city with the actual name - Karlovci is from the period of Ottoman rule.
On January 26 of 1699 in Sremski Karlovci took place the negotiations between the “Holy League” Austria, Prussia, Venice (England and Holland like mediators) and the Ottoman Empire. It was the first time that negotiation was used to solve a conflict. The Karlovci Peace Treaty negotiations lasted 72 days and signed the end of the Great Viennese War (1683-1699). Later Franciscans raised the Chapel of the Virgin in the site where negotiations took place. After this treaty Sremski Karlovci is included in Austro-Hungarian territory. The most significant period in the history of this town is XVIII century when Sremski Karlovci became the center of spiritual, political, cultural life of Serbs placed northern from the Sava and Danube rivers. In 1713. Karlovci have become Mitropolitan center (Archiepiscopate). At the beginning of XVIII century first Serbian schools are opened. In 1791 is founded is the first Serbian high school (Karlovačka Gimnazija) and in 1794 the second Seminary in orthodox word (Bogoslovija), at that time the only seminary was placed in Kijev. During the rough revolutionary of 1848/49 in Sremski Karlovci have took place important events for political life of Vojvodina. Here Metropolit (Archibishop) Josif Rajacic declared the rise of the autonomous Duchy of Serbia setting the bases autonomy of Vojvodina inside Austro-Hungarian empire. In 1918 after the First World War, Karlovci entered in the composition of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. During the Second World War the city was included inside the limits of the so-called Independent State of Croatia. The town was liberated in October 1944. At the end of World War II, Sremski Karlovci is included in the territory of Yugoslavia until 1991. Today it is part of the territory of Serbia. Between 1980 and 1989, Sremski Karlovci was one of the seven municipalities of Novi Sad. Today, the city has about 9000 residents, since 1990 is a separate administrative unit.